Our motto is Building Democracy Through Research because we believe that community voices should be central in determining what problems are addressed by science and technology and in deciding how benefits of these social practices are used in society. In other words, we believe in Science and Technology for the People! (see history of this movement)
The great strides forward in our understanding and control of the world around us should make life easier, safer, and more acquiescent to our dreams for a better future. The rich and powerful have hijacked most of the potential of our common efforts. This “1%” has taken most of the rewards of the advances in productivity and knowledge and left us with lower wages, more poverty, polluted communities, and increased stress and violence in our lives.
The SCRC collaborates with communities and organizations to take back control of science and technology and to use these tools to improve health, the environment, education, and to advance the interests of communities and working people.
We partner with communities by:
- Developing grants and securing project dollars for community initiated projects,
- Facilitating research partnerships that find solutions to community-defined problems,
- Creating evidence-based programs that directly respond to community concerns,
- Providing skills development in participatory methods, popular education community-led policy making, and popular epidemiology, among others,
- Conducting accessible and timely research for community use,
- Providing strategies, tools, and coaching for community policy change campaigns.
Projects always begin with community collaborations.
We welcome your questions and proposals.